Author: Jim Kenneally
Title / definition
IT-CMFTM (Information Technology Capability Maturity FrameworkTM)
Organizations, both public and private, are constantly challenged to be increasingly more agile, innovative and value-adding. CIOs are uniquely well-positioned to seize this opportunity and adopt the role of business transformation partner, helping their organizations to grow and prosper with innovative, IT-enabled products, services and processes. To succeed in this, however, the IT function needs to manage an array of inter-dependent but distinct disciplines.
In response to this need, the Innovation Value Institute, a cross-industry international consortium, developed the IT Capability Maturity Framework™ (IT-CMF™).
The IT Capability Maturity Framework™ (IT-CMF™) represents a suite of capabilities – Figure 1 – that help improve the management of IT to deliver higher levels of agility, innovation and value creation.
Figure 1: IT-CMF’s Critical Capabilities
Each critical capability of IT-CMF consists of capability building blocks (CBBs), which are characterized by maturity levels, are evaluated by maturity questions and are improved by practices-outcomes-metrics (POMs). Figure 2 graphically illustrates the relationship amongst IT-CMF’s principal components.
Figure 2: IT-CMF’s Principal Components
Business and IT professionals seeking to harness the full potential of information technology in their organizations, including CxOs, transformation change managers, IT strategy planners, general managers, and IT professionals aspiring to demonstrate leadership in adopting better approaches to managing technology for agility, innovation and value impact.
- An integrated management toolkit covering more than 30 management disciples, with organizational maturity profiles, assessment methods, and improvement roadmaps for each.
- A coherent set of concepts and principles, expressed in business management terms, that can be used to guide discussions on setting goals and evaluating performance.
- A unifying (or umbrella) framework that complements other, domain-specific frameworks already in use in the organization, helping to resolve conflicts between them, and filling gaps in their coverage.
- Industry/sector and vendor independent. IT-CMF can be used in any organizational context to guide performance improvement.
- A rigorously developed approach, underpinned by the principles of Open Innovation and guided by the Design Science Research methodology, synthesizing leading academic research with industry practitioner expertise
Considerations when using IT-CMF in your organization
- IT-CMF should be adopted at a senior management level, not just at the front-line staff/practitioner level, to realize the framework’s full advantages.
- The framework delivers value through change. Committing to the required organizational change will help ensure expected outcomes are achievable.
- Appropriate capability selection and setting of maturity targets benefits from an appreciation of IT-CMF’s critical capabilities, as well as a blended view across an organization’s business strategy, IT posture and industry context.
Relevant links: http://www.ivi.ie
|Title: IT Capability Maturity Framework™ (IT-CMF™) 2nd edition
Author: Martin Curley , Jim Kenneally , Marian Carcary,
Price: € 74,15